Sponsored link
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Sponsored link

Gaping holes in safety net for uninsured

Undocumented residents make up half of the 3 million Californians who still lack health insurance

48hillsuninsured

By Anna Challet

MARCH 19, 2015 — The safety net for uninsured Californians is full of holes – and those holes are much bigger for the state’s undocumented people.

That’s one of the main findings of a new study by the statewide health care advocacy coalition Health Access. The organization’s executive director Anthony Wright says the “uneven safety net” puts the state’s remaining uninsured in a position to “live sicker, die younger, and be one emergency away from financial ruin.”

“Counties should maintain strong safety nets for the remaining uninsured, through the county-led programs that provide primary and preventative care,” Wright said on a press call last week. “Counties that do not serve the undocumented should reconsider this policy, and focus their indigent care programs on the remaining uninsured population that actually has the most need for a safety net.”

Over a year into the full implementation of the Affordable Care Act, some 3 million Californians still lack health insurance. For many, that’s because coverage is still unaffordable. And almost half of the 3 million are undocumented, and thus shut out from federal health programs.

By law, counties have to provide care to low-income individuals who are uninsured and don’t qualify for other programs. But, says Wright, “Counties interpret this responsibility widely and wildly, in very different ways.”

For example, of the state’s 58 counties, only 10 “explicitly serve the undocumented in their programs for those who meet other qualifications such as income,” says Wright. “The rest do not serve the undocumented outside of emergency care.”

Sponsored link

The study found that the number of people enrolled in county-based care programs for the uninsured varied widely according to different counties’ eligibility requirements.

Counties that have more inclusive eligibility requirements, in terms of income and immigration status, still have thousands of people using their indigent care programs – in Los Angeles, for example, over 80,000 people are enrolled in the My Health LA program, which is open to undocumented immigrants, and assigns individuals to community clinics.

But counties that have more stringent eligibility requirements have far fewer people enrolled. Counties like Merced, Placer, and Tulare report that they now serve no one in their health care programs for the poor and needy.

That’s not because there isn’t a need, according to Wright, but because “those programs aren’t geared to the remaining uninsured that are left.”

Sacramento County is one of the 48 counties that don’t provide care to undocumented immigrants. It used to, but stopped in 2009 during the financial crisis.

Carlos Garcia, who spoke on the call along with Wright, is undocumented and recently moved to Sacramento from San Mateo. He hurt his leg in an accident and now the leg is infected. He says he was prescribed antibiotics instead of more comprehensive treatment because he doesn’t have health coverage, but he can’t even afford the medication.

He’ll need to drive back to San Mateo for further treatment – San Mateo is one of the 10 counties that provide care to the undocumented – but he’s worried about being able to pay for gas.

“I haven’t been able to work because of this,” he said through a translator. “I feel desperate.”

The proposed “Health For All” bill (SB 4) could help Garcia if it passes this year. The legislation, originally introduced in 2014 and re-introduced in 2015 by Senator Ricardo Lara (D-Los Angeles), would guarantee health coverage to everyone in the state, regardless of immigration status.

“County-based programs should be a bridge to a statewide solution, as being discussed here in the state capital, that would extend affordable coverage to all Californians,” says Wright.

“Our health system is stronger when everyone is included,” he says.

This story comes from New America Media.

Tim Redmond
Tim Redmond
Tim Redmond has been a political and investigative reporter in San Francisco for more than 30 years. He spent much of that time as executive editor of the Bay Guardian. He is the founder of 48hills.

48 Hills welcomes comments in the form of letters to the editor, which you can submit here. We also invite you to join the conversation on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

Sponsored link

Sponsored link
Sponsored link

Latest

Lurie wants to undermine Free City College

The life-changing program that has attracted national attention is facing a devastating budget cut—in defiance of the will of the voters

Hey Elon: SF has lots more tech olilgarchs you can go ahead and sue

AI may not help the Bay Area, but dozens of lawsuits against AI lords could create a wonderful spectator sport for us all.

A tale of two raves

What did big, shiny Club Darc and homegrown massive Parameter Fest have to say about the state of the city? Plenty, it turns out.

Boots Riley is here to boost you

Oakland icon pulls no punches talking about new movie 'I Love Boosters' and the power of collective organizing.

You might also likeRELATED