Sponsored link
Sunday, February 15, 2026

Sponsored link

News + PoliticsCrimeMajority of Boudin recall money comes from one big corporate PAC

Majority of Boudin recall money comes from one big corporate PAC

Records show very limited grassroots support; it's just one big-money group organized to attack progressive causes and candidates.

-

David Sacks, the rich tech bro who once wrote that date rape was “belated regret,” that racism isn’t a real factor in the US today, and that gender studies is about “the passionate hatred of men,” tweeted a few days ago that he has given another $50,000 to one of the campaigns to recall Chesa Boudin.

That brings his total to $75,000. (He later said he doesn’t still believe that date rape is belated regret. His other far-right opinions do not seem to have changed.)

There’s big money — but not a lot of grassroots money — pushing the recall.

It’s just the latest in the ongoing saga of the right-wing money going into the effort to remove the San Francisco district attorney.

The recall campaigns filed their latest forms Monday, and they show more big money going to attack Boudin, much of it moved through different committees that make it hard to follow the dollars.

The group called Neighbors for a Better San Francisco, formed to attack progressive candidates and ballot measures, has now put $200,000 into the recall, the documents show.

Some of that has been funneled through the San Francisco Common Sense Voter Guide, run by lobbyists for the Board of Realtors. Some went through a completely new group called Stop All Asian Hate, which hasn’t yet filed the paperwork with the city or the state that would reveal who is behind it.

There are two recall committees, one run by Republicans (that’s where Sacks gave his money, and many agree it’s going to hard to sell a GOP-backed recall in this city) and the other by people who supported Boudin’s opponents and seem unwilling to accept the outcome of the election.

But here’s what’s interesting: Other than the big PAC money (which was raised last year for other purposes), and the Big Tech money from Sacks, and one $5,000 donation from real-estate investor Margaret Hearst, the recall campaigns aren’t raising all that much. The non-GOP committee collected less than $10,000 in the last reporting period from some 30 donors.

It’s not exactly a grassroots uprising.

The Neighbors committee has about $100,000 left. After that’s gone, I’m not sure where this recall money is going to come from.

48 Hills welcomes comments in the form of letters to the editor, which you can submit here. We also invite you to join the conversation on our FacebookTwitter, and Instagram

Tim Redmond
Tim Redmond
Tim Redmond has been a political and investigative reporter in San Francisco for more than 30 years. He spent much of that time as executive editor of the Bay Guardian. He is the founder of 48hills.
Sponsored link

Featured

‘Pillion’ director Harry Lighton on kinky dom-com’s delicious chemistry

Interplay of stars Harry Melling and Alexander Skarsgård lend BDSM discovery tale emotional authenticity.

Grab a free pass to see new movie ‘Midwinter Break’

Lesley Manville and Ciarán Hinds take a trip to Amsterdam and discover a hidden truth.

Win tickets to Sudan Archives, Hanumankind, and a Heated Rivalry party

Go see a sweet show on us. Here's how to enter.

More by this author

How Lurie bungled the teachers strike

Plus: Why is an administration obsessed with public safety cutting crime-prevention programs that are way cheaper than cops? That's The Agenda for feb. 15-22

PG&E CEO grilled at supes hearing—and says Lurie wanted Opera House opened in blackout

We also got a preview of the lies the company will tell to oppose public power

Is the tide finally turning on the ‘abundance agenda?’

Two new studies show that the free market won't solve the housing crisis—and that Newsom, Lurie, and Wiener are wrong
Sponsored link

You might also likeRELATED